Sunday, December 9, 2012

New University of California Logo: Circumcision Clamp?

When I first saw it I couldn't believe it. I thought it had to be some kind of joke. I first laid eyes on it on my Facebook news feed, when a friend decided to post a funny story about it. Some people think it looks like one of those animated "now loading" computer icons.

I thought, "You've got to be kidding me! Really?"

I decided to Google it, and sure enough, there it was.

What's disconcerting to me is that the logo looks like a circumcision device, the closest one I could think of is the Mogen clamp. (Mogen went out of business because they couldn't afford the million dollar lawsuits as a result of the botched circumcisions it was responsible for.)

It looks like a circumcision clamp with the letter "C" on it, which I know stands for California, but I couldn't help associating it with the word "circumcision."

Which raises a few questions in my head.

Is this seriously for real?

If so, what were the creators thinking?

What was on their minds?

I'd like to know who is responsible for this disgusting imagery.

If this is real, the University of California needs to get rid of this logo at once.

That is, unless it wants to be known as the "University of Circumcision..."

4 comments:

  1. Well the University of Chicago should probably be known as the University of Circumcision. Daniel Strandjord certainly has the full history of this University and its "Orificial Surgery." female circumcisions, etc.

    And yes the new logo does look like the classic circumcision shield. SICKENING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph, unless you've got hard evidence that this is the morbid reason behind the new logo, I'd suggest that what needs to be thrown out is this blog post of yours; it comes off as the hyperfocusing of a lunatic. Don't misdirect your analytical brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tom,

      Thank you always for your readership, and thank you for the feedback.

      I have absolutely no evidence to prove that the actual inspiration behind this logo was a circumcision clamp, I just wanted to give an honest opinion and ask honest questions.

      The new logo is lame. It looks like a circumcision clamp. It seriously looks disturbing to me.

      What *were* the creators thinking?

      What was on their minds?

      That's what *I'd* like to know.

      Delete
    2. Joseph, I think the similarities you're seeing are coincidental. It's doubtful that the persons behind the logo had ever seen the Mogen clamp, and the design is highly generic, if unattractive. The obvious reference is to a U and a C, and I do see the similarity to the spinning computer icon.

      Delete